Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sync your notes between your Mac and iPhone/iTouch/iPad!

I have always used stickies on my computer, and when I got a iPhone I started using notes on it also. Then I thought how nice it would be if I could have notes on my iPhone sync automatically to my computer and vice versa. Then it could update the note immediately instead of waiting for me to connect the usb and do a sync of my phone.
This article shows how to sync notes in your iOS device with notes in Mac Mail through your email server.  The assumption is made that you have a email account already set up on both devices. With that let's get started!

On the iOS device:

Go to Setting/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/
Go to the email account that you want to use.
Turn the slider for notes to 'ON'

Now go to the notes App,
Tap on the Accounts arrow at the top left of the screen. Now you should see three things here. You should see 'All Notes', 'From My Mac' and the new account that you just added to notes.
Tap the new account and make a new note.


On the Mac computer:

Open up the Mail App.
Now there are two places the notes may show up to begin with. You may see them in the actual inbox, and you will also see them in a section down under the inboxes on the left side of the window under a heading called "Reminders". Normally I do not like to see my notes in my inbox, so a quick trip to preferences will fix that. Just go to Preferences (Shortcut is "⌘ + ," ) to Accounts Tab and to the account you have your notes in. Go to the Mailbox Behaviors pane and uncheck "Show notes in Inbox". Now they will only appear under Reminders.

If you have questions or comments feel free to post them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment